The Mensarius Oath is an ethical code of conduct for venture capitalists and other finance professionals that is designed to foster positive outcomes for humanity. ‘Mensarius’ is a Latin noun that refers to a banker or financier, and the tenets of the Mensarius Oath were based on the Hippocratic Oath used in the medical profession.
The Mensarius Oath was originally developed by the Founder Institute in March of 2020 to inspire a new class of ethical investors that focus on both societal and economic returns. The Oath is used as part of admissions to the venture capital accelerator, VC Lab.
If you support the oath or have comments, please send a Tweet with the hashtag, #MensariusOath.
As a financial professional that invests in enterprises using personal or investor capital, I hereby pledge to honor these values. If it is determined by myself or a panel of my peers that I have violated these values without reconciliation agreed between all involved parties, then I will voluntarily leave the industry.
- In my profession of finance, I endeavor to help create positive outcomes for all of humanity.
- With my dealings, I create positive outcomes financially and otherwise for all of those involved, including the conscious avoidance of harm to any parties.
- Being in the industry, I will help others to achieve the highest standards that I set for myself and my organization.
- As a steward of the trade, I work against any abuse of power that leads to unfair advantage, seduction, corruption or mistreatment.
- As a person who can affect the outcome, I commit to reducing inequality and increasing fairness in society.
- In honor of the community, I pledge to treat all that approach me with fairness, equality and the attention that each opportunity deserves.
- As a professional, I am open and honest in all of my dealings with those that I serve, including Investors and Founders.
- As part of my work, I keep all matters that are understood to be private with all available protections to keep safe from public or other unwanted disclosure.
- To continuously improve, I solicit and respect feedback from those that I serve and from my wider industry professionals.